Monday, September 17, 2007

Software Reuse Knowledge Base


Often, students asked me about how to keep a record about the papers which we have to read. I remember when I started my reuse studies for my Ph.D. and my advisor professor Dr. Silvio Meira convinced me to write some abstract about the papers with my point of view. I do not have all the papers in this base, my Ph.D. thesis had about 217 references, however, I published about 66 papers about the theme. For students, this procedure is useful to learn to write, especially in English (my first abstract was horrible), and keep the history about the papers read during the M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree. Moreover, it is useful to write papers and the dissertation/thesis.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And do you suggest a software for doing that? Not only to make the abstracts, but also to keep the references. I was trying this aigaion ( http://www.aigaion.nl/ ), but was not satisfied at all. Now I will try the connotea ( http://www.connotea.org/code ), which I hope is better...

Eduardo Almeida said...

In general, I believe that you can use a html edition tool combined with end note, i.e, initially, in my mind I do no think in a software for doing it. However, maybe, we can combine tools such as wordpress, end note, and a search engine to improve it.

Unknown said...

Current, I've tailored a wiki engine (http://jspwiki.org/) to organize my own knowledge base. I've obtained good results with this tool. The JSPWiki is built around the standard J2EE components (Java, servlets, JSP) and provides a very good search engine to you. ;)